Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome the new Disabled Pilots Association of Australia...

There are very few opportunities for disabled pilots to get together and talk flying stuff.  David McPherson from Deniliquin who is a paraplegic pilot organised a fantastic weekend on 19 - 20 March 2011, in order to get a group of like minded people together to see what can happen. 

There was a great turnout, around eight planes flew in with paraplegic and diabetic pilots.  I met some really amazing people, others that were just getting into flying following the acquisition of their disability and others that have flown for years, with experiences most of us would envy.


Having a beer at the Deniliquin Aero Club to wash the bugs out of our teeth!
 I flew up on the Friday to meet up with everyone for a bbq and beers at the Deniliquin Aeroclub. One of the things I love about flying are some of the really peculiar/amazing sights I get to see.  On the flight there was an inversion layer which looks like a bubble of haze over the earth, that I was above, and there were these spot fires everywhere.  As the smoke rose it stopped at the top of this bubble, which made it look like an atomic bomb had gone off.  It looked really cool!

Is this Armagedon?
On Saturday we had a forum discussing types of  hand controls people used on what aircraft and had a presentation by a CASA Doctor discussing medicals that pilots are required to have to fly general aviation aircraft.  I myself fly a recreational aircraft so I don't need a medical which makes it easier.  I really learnt alot and it was great to see  how everyone did their thing,  with some very entertaining stories.  The best outcome was that we decided to form the Disabled Pilots Association of Australia.  A web page will be set up with contacts and  information for new and established pilots and will have a fly in every six months.  Can't wait!

Before we left for home on Sunday, we had a navigation competition, where we had to navigate to various points and answer some questions.  Don't ask me how  I went!  It was good fun though.

Group shot of the guy's at the Fly-in!

The people of Deniliquin were fantastic, the Aeroclub put on a bbq lunch each day and the members of the Rotary Club transported us back and forwards to hotels, which was greatly appreciated. 

Over & Out

1 comment:

  1. This was a great weekend and there were some amazing guys there with some amazing stories. As a budding writer I truly believe that everyone has a story to tell and I heard some great ones over the weekend!. The best 48 hours I have had in a long time!!! Steve Byrne

    ReplyDelete